The NUW Alliance comprises three leading Australian research-intensive universities – the University of Newcastle, UNSW and the University of Wollongong.
The mission of the NUW Alliance is to seek out the big collaborations that make a difference, collaborations that unlock new value, impact and benefit for our communities across NSW.
The NUW Alliance’s three partner universities continue to build on their local and global reputations as leaders in research and student experience. Our Universities have a proud history of achievement that has led to strong outcomes in international university rankings. Together and as individuals, we are among the world's best.
The NUW Alliance spans a geographic area home to more than 75% of NSW’s population and 25% of Australia’s. In 2019 we educated more than 137,000 students, employed more than 12,000 staff over 25 campuses and in 2018 netted combined research income of $583 million.
Our three partner universities have established 14 innovation and entrepreneurship hubs spanning the NSW East Coast. Combined, the NUW Alliance tops Australia for research output in mathematics and computing, and in engineering and physical sciences (as measured in the 2017 Leiden Rankings).
How we make a difference
The NUW Alliance is focused on leveraging its critical mass to deliver opportunity and impact beyond the reach of individual institutions. More diverse, multi-disciplinary teams will build on the world leading research capabilities of the NUW Alliance universities, and more focused teaching outcomes will produce the graduates that industry needs. The NUW Alliance is committed to working in new and different ways that support innovation and deliver economic growth and social benefit in NSW and beyond.
Our Strategic Priorities
The NUW Alliance is guided by our strategic priorities to:
- Deliver impact for NSW by focusing our efforts on the challenges faced by the state;
- Actively pursue and execute opportunities for collaboration that a single Alliance partner cannot pursue alone;
- Enable collaboration for the Alliance by building and strengthening frameworks between our partners that encourage, foster, embed and celebrate collaboration;
- Remove barriers to collaboration faced by our partners and potential partners in industry, government and the community by establishing a framework for access;
- Prioritise collaborations that contribute to excellence in research, teaching and the student experience; and
- Ensure our collaborations are underpinned by the sustainable development goals.